Friday, November 20, 2009

Acromioclavicular Joint Separation

What is an Acromioclavicular Joint Separation??? Rather than attempting to explain it all, just click on the link (blue words) and I'll leave the task of explaining it to the experts LOL! I did write in my last update that this one would have a health report about ME, and so here it is. And . . . if you did go check it out the link, I have a grade 3 separation :(

How did it happen . . . ahhh, now there's a little story to share there, but basically, underneath it all, I just forgot I am 50 now and the body I'm here experiencing 3D in, as miraculous as it is, just can't do what it could when I was 20 :) For those of you that don't want to go find out more about it via the link above, or found the images a little abstract if you did, here's a blended photo/x-ray image I found that shows the injury very clearly . . .

Acromioclavicular Joint Separation (click to enlarge)

Anyway, here's what actually happened. It was Alison's (brother Phil's mother-in-law) 80th birthday party out at his place. Due to the milestone that turning 80 is (congratulations Alison!), lots of her family had come from all over the country to celebrate with her, and although I couldn't tell you all their names, here's a photo of the group . . .

Alison (centre & 80) & lots of her family (click to enlarge)

Naturally, there was a game of cricket on, and naturally, there was the usual competitive enthusiasm between the males, and I confess I was doin my best to make the biggest hit and the best catch, etc, LOL! Anyway, I was in the out field running as fast as I could after a big hit ball with the goal of catching it, looking up at the ball, and I simply stumbled a little, tried for several seconds to right myself, but just couldn't do it, and I sort of crash/rolled onto what must be the hardest ground on the whole property . . . an area of grassless, rock hard clay driveway :(

I vaguely remember hearing a weird noise as the joint went, but it all happened so fast I don't remember too much about it, but I do know that when I got up, and the roars of laughter by all the other players died down (I think it must have looked pretty funny LOL!), I knew it was a serious injury. X-rays at the hospital an hour or so later confirmed that, though there was nothing they could do other than provide me with a collar & cuff sling, instructions on managing the injury, and the knowledge that the tendons would re-grow in two or three months and I would always have a lump there unless I had an operation.

Thankfully, it was not very painful at all when I followed the advice, and most of the things I do in caring for Mum I could do one handed a little slower. The things I couldn't do, well . . . as usual we were very blessed, and it seemed there was always someone else there to do them :) Today, almost two weeks after it occurred, I am able to drive the car again (its a manual) and I reckon by next week, I'll be able to put Mum's wheelchair (something I still cant do at the moment) in the boot and take her to here weekly hair wash/set/whatever she has done at her hairdresser in Yungaburra.

Incidentally, Mum's going about the same as she was in the last update, which is pretty good, really. She's experiencing a little angina from time to time, but no more nose bleeds, and her leg/foot seems to be slowing improving and becoming more and more pain-free.

It was Dad's birthday on Friday the 13th of November, and although we (Mum, I & Phil) had planned to go out for a special lunch to remember & celebrate his time with us, Mum was not really up to it, so I made (with my one good arm) a simple meal of zuccini slice and salad, which we shared at home. It is very easy to celebrate the birth, and life, of Robert Maxwell Ackland.

Robert Maxwell Ackland (click to enlarge)

To finish on a very positive note, we were recently blessed by the company (on Tuesday 17th and Wednesday 18th) of our dear friends Chris & Patsy Hannam. Patsy, the cake was award-winningly scrummy, and Chris, I didn't get to thank you before you left (cause I didn't notice till after you had gone), but thank you so much for doing the dishes. I really appreciated it :) Here they are with Mum . . .

Chris, Valmae, & Patsy (click to enlarge)

No comments: